Indonesian House Member Caught Visiting Australia Amid Massive Protest

16 hours ago 6

August 31, 2025 | 09:29 am

TEMPO.COJakarta - The Chair of Indonesia's House of Representatives' (DPR) Commission XI, Muhammad Misbakhun, denied allegations that he was planning to participate in the Sydney Marathon amidst the escalation of demonstrations in Indonesia. Misbakhun stated that he and other members of Commission XI were only on a working visit to Australia from August 27th to 29th, 2025.

"I did not participate in the Sydney Marathon," he said when contacted on Saturday, August 30th, 2025.

He stated that the three-day visit was focused on Sydney and Canberra. Misbakhun claimed that the financial commission's trip had been planned long before the protests took place. Their visit was said to be aimed at pursuing the target revision of the Financial Sector Development and Strengthening Bill (RUU P2SK).

The DPR member's visit to Australia has sparked criticism on social media. One user, @ar***n, uploaded the travel schedule of the members of the council. The circulated image showed the travel schedule for Commission XI members taking place from August 26th to September 1st, 2025.

On the sixth day, or August 31st, the council members were scheduled to enjoy the atmosphere of the Sydney Marathon and its celebration. Despite denial, the name of the Golkar politician was listed on the multisportaustralia.com website as a participant in the Sydney Marathon 2025.

On the publicly accessible page, Muhammad Misbakhun's name was listed with the running number #12132 under the flag of Indonesia. The prestigious running event is also scheduled to take place at the end of this month.

Regarding his registration for the Sydney Marathon, Misbakhun stated that the registration mechanism for the World Major Marathon category must be done a year in advance.

As a running enthusiast, he admitted to frequently registering for marathons but seldom participating in races. "I can assure you that if I run on August 31st, it will be in the Gelora Bung Karno area. Hopefully, GBK will still be available for sports," he said.

Previously, Indonesian students in Sydney caught members of Commission XI of the DPR during their working visit and leisure in Australia amidst massive protests against the council's allowances.

Mahesti Hasanah, a candidate for a doctorate in political economics at the University of Sydney, stated that from the stories she heard, the students took the initiative to approach the members of the DPR. "They avoided the students and left immediately," she said when Tempo contacted her on Saturday.

During the working visit, it was reported that the members of the DPR would tour the Scenic World & Echo Point. This is an amusement park that offers sightseeing and a cable car to view the natural scenery and the Blue Mountain tourist spot.

Mahesti stated that the council members' entourage ultimately cancelled their visit to the Blue Mountains. According to her, the council members cancelled the visit to the tourist spot after their travel plans were leaked to the public.

Mahesti also heard that the members of the DPR had booked a dinner at one of the expensive restaurants in Sydney. Indonesian students also saw the council members using a limousine and staying at the Four Seasons Sydney Hotel.

Ilona Esterina and Shinta Maharani contributed to this article.

Editor's Choice: Indonesian Students in Australia Condemn DPR Member's Sydney Tour Amid Protests

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News



16 Islamic Organizations Meet with Prabowo to Discuss Worsening Mass Protest in Indonesia

1 jam lalu

16 Islamic Organizations Meet with Prabowo to Discuss Worsening Mass Protest in Indonesia

16 Islamic social organizations met with President Prabowo Subianto to discuss the country's situation amid the widespread demonstrations throughout Indonesia.


Prabowo Cancels Visit to China Amid Widening Protests in Indonesia

1 jam lalu

Prabowo Cancels Visit to China Amid Widening Protests in Indonesia

The Presidential Palace announced that President Prabowo Subianto has canceled his foreign visit to China to attend a military parade on September 3, 2025.


Today's Top 3 News: Prabowo Pays Condolence Visit to Home of Ojol Driver Killed During Jakarta Protest

11 jam lalu

Today's Top 3 News: Prabowo Pays Condolence Visit to Home of Ojol Driver Killed During Jakarta Protest

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today.


Indonesian Students in Australia Condemn DPR Member's Sydney Tour Amid Protests

13 jam lalu

Indonesian Students in Australia Condemn DPR Member's Sydney Tour Amid Protests

Indonesian students in Australia confronted Commission XI DPR members on an overseas working visit amid protests over lawmakers' allowances.


DPR Legislator Ahmad Sahroni's Residence Stormed: Car Smashed, Belongings Looted

14 jam lalu

DPR Legislator Ahmad Sahroni's Residence Stormed: Car Smashed, Belongings Looted

Hordes of angry people stormed the house of DPR member Ahmad Sahroni. Various items inside the house were looted.


Mob Vandalizes Legislator Ahmad Sahroni's House in North Jakarta

14 jam lalu

Mob Vandalizes Legislator Ahmad Sahroni's House in North Jakarta

The house of Ahmad Sahroni in Tanjung Priok, North Jakarta, was raided by a crowd this Saturday afternoon. They damaged the car and looted the house.


Prabowo Urged to Cancel China Trip Amid Nationwide Protests

16 jam lalu

Prabowo Urged to Cancel China Trip Amid Nationwide Protests

Former Deputy Foreign Minister of Indonesia, Dino Patti Djalal, suggests for President Prabowo Subianto to cancel his visit to China amid the widespread demonstrations in various cities in Indonesia.


House Speaker Puan Maharani Silent on Why Parliament Refused to Meet Protesters

17 jam lalu

House Speaker Puan Maharani Silent on Why Parliament Refused to Meet Protesters

Puan Maharani did not provide an answer as to why the Parliament did not receive representatives of the demonstrators, which eventually led to a riot.


Solo DPRD Office Set Ablaze After Night of Protests

17 jam lalu

Solo DPRD Office Set Ablaze After Night of Protests

Starting around 7 AM WIB, several leaders and legislators from Solo came to the Regional Representative Council (DPRD) office to check the condition.


Puan Maharani Vows DPR Improvement Following Public Unrest

17 jam lalu

Puan Maharani Vows DPR Improvement Following Public Unrest

"We will evaluate ourselves, make improvements, and listen more closely to the people's aspirations," DPR Chairwoman said.


Read Entire Article
Parenting |