TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - World leaders have condemned Israel's plan to occupy Gaza, the last 25 percent of the Gaza Strip that they have not fully controlled. They warned that it would worsen the humanitarian crisis. For instance, Britain and Finland called for a ceasefire and the release of hostages.
As reported by Euronews on Friday, August 8, 2025, Israel's security cabinet approved the controversial plan this morning, marking a new escalation in the Gaza genocide under the pretext of combating Hamas, which has been ongoing for almost two years in the country.
The announcement from the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu came after hours of debate among senior security officials since Thursday night.
In light of Netanyahu's earlier statement that the military would "take control of the entire Gaza," the decision to occupy Gaza was made. However, he claimed that Israel had no intention of permanently occupying the Gaza Strip.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer strongly condemned the move, stating: "Israel’s decision to further escalate its offensive in Gaza is wrong and we urge it to reconsider immediately."
"This action will do nothing to bring an end to this conflict or to help secure the release of the hostages. It will only bring more bloodshed," Starmer said in a statement.
"What we need is a ceasefire, a surge in humanitarian aid, the release of all hostages by Hamas and a negotiated solution."
Starmer added that Hamas "can play no part in the future of Gaza and must leave as well as disarm." Britain, he said, is working with allies on a long-term strategy to build peace in the region "as part of a two-state solution."
Finnish Foreign Minister Elina Valtonen expressed similar concerns, stating that she is "very concerned" about the worsening humanitarian conditions in Gaza.
Meanwhile, Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard affirmed that Israel's occupation of Gaza is a violation of international law.
"I view with great concern the decision that the Israeli government has made. We need a ceasefire and this decision risks taking the development in the opposite direction," she said, according to Sweden's public broadcaster, SVT, as reported by Anadolu.
Stenergard emphasized that any attempt by Israel to annex or alter the Gaza Strip is a violation of the law.
"I have previously reiterated that any attempt to annex, change or reduce the territory of Gaza would violate international law," she said.
In Australia, Foreign Minister Penny Wong called on Israel to retreat, warning that "permanent forced displacement is a violation of international law."
U.S. President Donald Trump commented earlier this week that the decision was "really up to Israel." He instead blamed Hamas for hindering negotiations. "They didn’t really want to make a deal," he said.
Hamas has offered to return all hostages and prisoners of war in exchange for a permanent end to the war in Gaza and the entry of humanitarian aid for the Palestinian people. However, Israel adamantly refuses without clear reasons.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk condemned the move, stating that "The Israeli government’s plan for a complete military takeover of the occupied Gaza Strip must be immediately halted."
"It runs contrary to the ruling of the International Court of Justice that Israel must bring its occupation to an end as soon as possible, to the realisation of the agreed two-state solution and to the right of Palestinians to self-determination," he added.
Several pro-Palestinian countries urged the international community to stop Israel's plan. As reported by Al Arabiya, Turkey called on the international community to prevent Israel's occupation of Gaza, stating that it would be a "serious blow" to peace and security.
"We call on the international community to fulfill its responsibilities to prevent the implementation of this decision, which aims to forcibly displace Palestinians from their own land,," said the Foreign Ministry in a statement.
Meanwhile, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs emphasized, as reported by Al Arabiya, that Gaza belongs to the Palestinian people and is an integral part of the Palestinian territory.
"Gaza belongs to the Palestinian people and is an inseparable part of Palestinian territory," said the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
"A complete resolution to the Gaza conflict hinges on a ceasefire; only then can a path to de-escalation be paved and regional security ensured," the spokesperson added.
War Crimes Declaration
Reactions within Israel are divided. Opposition leader Yair Lapid condemned the government's plan, stating that it contradicts the advice of military and defense leaders.
"The plan is completely contrary to the position of the military and the defence establishment, without taking into consideration the burnout and the exhaustion of the combat troops," he said.
Israeli Military Chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir had previously warned on Thursday that the plan would endanger the lives of hostages and further burden the military.
Zamir has repeatedly clashed with the security cabinet in recent days, particularly regarding the Gaza proposal.
Before the security cabinet meeting on Thursday, Netanyahu denied Israel's intention to permanently control Gaza.
"We don't want to keep it. We want to have a security perimeter," claimed the Israeli leader to Fox News. "We don't want to govern it. We don't want to be there as a governing body."
He said that Israel intends to hand over control of the Gaza Strip to a coalition of Arab forces that will govern it.
This announcement comes amid warnings from various humanitarian organizations about the severe conditions in Gaza, where hunger and displacement are increasing every day.
Israel's genocide in Gaza has displaced almost the entire population of Gaza and destroyed over 60 percent of the area's buildings and infrastructure. Israel's total blockade on humanitarian aid has left 2 million Palestinians in Gaza starving.
The war began when Palestinian Hamas fighters attacked southern Israel on October 7, 2023. About 1,200 people were killed, and 251 were taken hostage and captured. Fifty hostages are still being held, although fewer than half are believed to be still alive.
Subsequent Israeli attacks resulted in the deaths of more than 61,250 Palestinian civilians, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, the majority of whom were women and children.
The Israeli military said nearly 900 of its soldiers had been killed since the war began.
Editor's Choice: Netanyahu Says Israel Resolute in Plan to Occupy Gaza
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News