High School and Vocational Students Banned from August 28 Protest

3 days ago 8

August 28, 2025 | 12:07 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Indonesia's Department of Education has prohibited students from participating in today's protest, Thursday, August 28, 2025. For example, the Banten Provincial Department of Education has issued a circular banning students from participating in protests. The ban has been socialized to schools in the area.

One of the high school students (SMA) in Banten, West Java, Iwan — not his real name, said he received the circular. He feels that the government is overly monitoring them. "Yesterday afternoon, there was a circular from the Banten Provincial Department of Education to the school principals. The letter was forwarded to the student's WhatsApp group. Then, the parents conveyed it to their respective children," Iwan said when contacted on Thursday, August 28, 2025.

Iwan wonders why the government is prohibiting high school students from participating in the protest. For Iwan, joining the protest is a means to voice opinions and fight against injustice. "When we take to the streets, it means the situation is urgent. The authorities have been too oppressive," he said.

He also questions what he learned in school about critical thinking, only to discover that it cannot be applied in the real world. When students think critically, Iwan feels that their thinking is considered dangerous. "We are taught to be critical in running the country. But when something like this happens, we are forbidden and silenced," he said in astonishment.

The circular shown by Iwan contains instructions from the Head of the Banten Provincial Department of Education and Culture to all high school and vocational school principals to monitor and supervise their students so that they do not participate in the demonstration on Thursday, August 28, 2025.

"This is done to ensure the safety and security, as well as to ensure that the teaching and learning process in schools runs smoothly," as written in the letter. The letter dated August 27, 2025, was signed by Lukman, the Head of the Banten Provincial Department of Education and Culture.

Previously, the Minister of Primary and Secondary Education, Abdul Mu'ti, asked students throughout Indonesia to participate in the protests.

"We urge all students in Indonesia not to be provoked by news that cannot be accounted for their truthfulness," said Mu'ti after attending a limited meeting with President Prabowo Subianto at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on Wednesday, August 27, 2025, as reported by Antara.

Mu'ti considered news that could not be verified as truthful or hoaxes to be a trigger for student involvement in the protest in front of the House of Representatives (DPR) building in Senayan, Jakarta, on Monday, August 25, 2025.

The Minister of Primary and Secondary Education urged teachers and school principals to pay attention and supervise students so they do not get involved in activities beyond their role and duty as students.

Editor's Choice: August 28 Labor Protest: DPR Orders Employees to Work from Home

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News



August 28 Labor Protest: DPR Orders Employees to Work from Home

42 menit lalu

August 28 Labor Protest: DPR Orders Employees to Work from Home

Indonesia's House of Representatives (DPR) Secretary General urged employees to work from home to anticipate a labor protest held today.


4,531 Joint Personnel Guarding Today's Labor Protest at the DPR Building

2 jam lalu

4,531 Joint Personnel Guarding Today's Labor Protest at the DPR Building

A total of 4,531 combined security personnel consisting of the police force and the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) guarding the DPR building.


Transjakarta to Adjust Bus Routes Following August 28 Protest

2 jam lalu

Transjakarta to Adjust Bus Routes Following August 28 Protest

Transjakarta is preparing for potential reroutes and temporary closures of bus stops in anticipation of a labor demonstration near the People's Representative Council (DPR) building in Jakarta on Thursday, August 28, 2025.


August 28 Protest Sites: In Front of DPR Building, City Hall, and Horse Statue

2 jam lalu

August 28 Protest Sites: In Front of DPR Building, City Hall, and Horse Statue

President of the Indonesian Trade Union Confederation, Said Iqbal, stated that the focal point for the demonstration on August 28th will be in front of the DPR building.


3,000 Workers Will Stage Protest at DPR Building Today

2 jam lalu

3,000 Workers Will Stage Protest at DPR Building Today

Approximately 3,000 workers crowding Jalan Gatot Subroto starting at 9:00 am to hold a protest in front of the House of Representatives (DPR) Building


Indonesian Crude Price in 2026 Draft State Budget Agreed at US$70 per Barrel

7 jam lalu

Indonesian Crude Price in 2026 Draft State Budget Agreed at US$70 per Barrel

The Ministry of Energy and the Indonesian House of Representatives have agreed on the price of Indonesian Crude Price (ICP) set at US$70 per barrel.


BEM SI Condemns North Sumatra Police's Repressive Actions During August 26 Protest

8 jam lalu

BEM SI Condemns North Sumatra Police's Repressive Actions During August 26 Protest

All-Indonesian Student Executive Board (BEM SI) condemned the repressive actions of North Sumatra police who arrested 44 students during protest.


Indonesian Student Association Confirms August 29 Protest

14 jam lalu

Indonesian Student Association Confirms August 29 Protest

BEM SI's planned action differs from other student and labor groups, who will stage demonstrations a day earlier, on August 28.


Police Violence Alleged Against Civilians and Journalists at August 25 Jakarta Protest

20 jam lalu

Police Violence Alleged Against Civilians and Journalists at August 25 Jakarta Protest

Several people were found injured after being arrested by the police during a demonstration around the Parliament building. They claimed to have been subjected to violence by the police.


Prabowo Summons Police, Military Leaders After August 25 Protests Erupt in Riots

20 jam lalu

Prabowo Summons Police, Military Leaders After August 25 Protests Erupt in Riots

President Prabowo has summoned the National Police Chief, the Commander of the Indonesian National Defense Forces, the Attorney General, and the head of the Special Development Control and Investigation Agency to discuss the August 25th demonstrations.


Read Entire Article
Parenting |