August 29, 2025 | 07:21 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Minister of Trade Budi Santoso said the government could halt the import of food trays for the free nutritious meal program if proven containing pork oil. "If it is proven to contain [pork], we will stop the supplier, Budi told reporters at the Jakarta International Convention Center on Friday, August 29, 2025.
Budi made this statement in response to laboratory tests conducted by the Food and Drug Monitoring Agency (BPOM) on food tray samples suspected to contain pork oil.
Budi mentioned that the ministry is currently awaiting the results of the test conducted by BPOM. "We are still awaiting inspections, one of them [is] from BPOM, whether it's true or not," he said.
He also urged that the food trays must obtain the Indonesian National Standard (SNI) certificate. This regulation, he said, applies to both local and imported food tray products. The reason is that SNI is one of the guarantees for consumer safety. "One way is to make SNI mandatory," Budi said.
Previously, there was a report circulating on social media from the Indonesia Business Post which conducted an investigation in the Chaoshan region, eastern part of Guangdong Province, China, suspected to be the importer of the nutritious meal tray for the MBG program in Indonesia. In the report, the Indonesia Business Post team reported the discovery of 30-40 factories producing the nutritious meal for the global market, including one suspected for the MBG Program in Indonesia.
The report claims the discovery of alleged falsification of the "Made in Indonesia" label and the SNI logo on the meal tray, which was actually produced in China, the use of the 201 type of meal tray which is suspected to contain high manganese (a whitish-gray metal) and unsuitable for acidic foods. Additionally, there are indications of the use of pork oil or lard in the produced meal tray.
However, the National Standardization Agency (BSN) previously stated that it has established Indonesian National Standard (SNI) 9369:2025 concerning stainless steel compartmentalized meal tray to support the MBG Program.
"We established this standard on June 18, 2025, through the Chief of BSN's Decision Number 182/KEP/BSN/6/2025. This is a new standard developed by ourselves and compiled by the Downstream Metal Product Technical Committee 77-02," said BSN's Deputy of Standard Development Hendro Kusumo.
When contacted separately, Head of the National Nutrition Agency (BGN) Dadan Hindayana stated that they are still investigating information regarding the alleged pork content found in the free nutritious meal trays. "We are still studying it," Dadan said in a written message on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. He mentioned that BGN was never involved in the procurement of the MBG food trays.
Dinda Shabrina and Dian Rahma Fika contributed to the writing of this article.
Editor’s Choice: BPOM Learns of Pork Oil Reports in MBG Food Trays via Social Media
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
427 Bengkulu Students Suffer Food Poisoning After Consuming State-Sanctioned Free Meals
22 jam lalu

Food poisoning incidents continue to occur. Most recently, hundreds of students were suspected to have been affected after consuming MBG meals in Lebong, Bengkulu.
Industry Minister Shares Why Indonesian Factories Are Putting Production on Hold
1 hari lalu

The Industry Minister reports many factories are holding production due to the industrial confidence index experiencing contraction.
BPOM Learns of Pork Oil Reports in MBG Food Trays via Social Media
2 hari lalu
BPOM Head Taruna Ikrar confirmed TikTok was the source of initial pork oil allegations in MBG food trays.
BPOM to Test Samples of MBG Food Tray Suspected of Containing Pork Oil
2 hari lalu

The Indonesian Food and Drug Monitoring Agency (BPOM) will conduct tests on samples of food tray from the free nutritious meal program (MBG) suspected of containing pork oil.
Indonesia and Saudi Arabia Enhance Bilateral Trade to Boost Economic Growth
3 hari lalu

In the first half of 2025, total trade between Indonesia and Saudi Arabia reached US$3.2 billion.
WTO Rules in Favor of Indonesia in EU Biodiesel Duty Dispute, Minister Announces
5 hari lalu

According to Minister Airlangga, the WTO ruling will also help ensure fair market access for Indonesia's key exports.
Survey: Free Nutritious Meal Program Only Slightly Helps Household Expenses
7 hari lalu

Indonesian Social Survey released the latest findings on public satisfaction with the government's performance on Thursday, August 21, 2025.
FDA Warns of Possible Radiation in Indonesian Frozen Shrimp Imports
9 hari lalu

FDA has advised the public not to consume, sell, or serve dishes containing frozen shrimp produced by PT Bahari Makmur Sejati (BMS Foods), Indonesia.
Today's Top 3 News: Sri Mulyani Denies Video Calling Teachers State Burden: Hoax, Deepfake
9 hari lalu

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today.
Indonesia's Textile Factories Face Closures, Layoffs Amid Import Quota Surge
9 hari lalu

At least 60 domestic textile companies have collapsed over the past two years, leaving around 250,000 employees unemployed.