August 19, 2026 | 09:56 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta – Iran has considered striking US military assets in southeastern Europe if US President Donald Trump further escalates the war, raising the prospect of the conflict spreading beyond the Middle East, the Financial Times reported Wednesday, as cited by Anadolu.
Citing two people close to the Iranian government, the British newspaper reported that Iranian forces had assessed potential strikes on US assets in southeastern European countries, including Bulgaria, which last month approved the use of its Bezmer air base by US refueling aircraft.
Cyprus has also reportedly been considered a potential target in the event of a renewed US offensive, according to one of the sources. A British air base on the island was hit by a drone in March.
Iranian forces have separately examined the possibility of targeting subsea fiber-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz if the conflict escalates further, according to the report.
One source told the Financial Times that Tehran was preparing options to expand the conflict if Trump followed through on previous threats to attack Iranian infrastructure.
“Should the US go too far, Iran will defend itself at any price, go beyond the region and hit Europe too,” the source said, as quoted by Anadolu.
NATO Warns It Is Ready to Respond
Accroding to Anadolu, NATO said Wednesday that it was prepared to address any threat following the reports of potential Iranian strikes on US military assets in Europe.
“NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all Allies,” a NATO official told Anadolu in a written statement.
The official also pointed to NATO's air defense operations earlier this year, when ballistic missiles heading toward Türkiye from Iran were intercepted on four separate occasions.
“As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Türkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defence posture is strong and effective,” the statement said.
Strait of Hormuz Talks Remain Stalled
The reports come as negotiations over reopening the Strait of Hormuz remain stalled and prospects for renewed talks between Tehran and Washington have dimmed.
US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that there were “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with Tehran.
Iranian military officials have previously warned that any military base used to launch attacks against Iranian territory could be considered a target.
The Financial Times also cited military experts as saying Iran has missiles capable of reaching parts of southern and southeastern Europe, although their effectiveness and accuracy could decline at longer ranges.
Iran and the United States signed a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at ending the war and paving the way for a broader agreement. The arrangement later broke down amid mutual accusations of violations and renewed hostilities.
Diplomatic efforts have since failed to produce a breakthrough on reopening the Strait of Hormuz or resuming negotiations toward a broader agreement.
Top 3 News: Iran Loses Ground in Hormuz, Prabowo's Millions of Jobs Claim Checked
1 jam lalu

Here is the list of the top 3 news onTempo English today.
US, UAE Discuss Strait of Hormuz amid Iran-Oman Talks
10 jam lalu

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and UAE National Security Adviser Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed discussed Strait of Hormuz security.
Iran Loses Ground in Strait of Hormuz as Most Ships Use Oman Route
14 jam lalu

Iran appears to have lost significant control of the Strait of Hormuz as most ships shift to an Oman route despite Tehran's threats.
Iran to Keep Strait of Hormuz Closed Until US Meets Peace Commitments
1 hari lalu

Iran insists it will not reopen the Strait of Hormuz until the U.S. fulfills its commitments under the MoU signed by both parties.
Iran Dismisses Trump's Claim of Backchannel Talks
1 hari lalu

Iran claimed there's no diplomatic talks with the US due to Washington's "breach of promises."
Qatar Denies Holding Iran's Missing Fighter Pilots
2 hari lalu

Qatar on Saturday denied that it was detaining Iranian pilots who went missing early in the US-Israeli war with Iran after their aircraft were downed.
Lebanon Says 11 Killed in Israeli Airstrikes
3 hari lalu

Lebanon's prime minister denounced the attacks on villages in southern Lebanon for targeting civilians in their homes.
Was Trump Joking About Declaring Hormuz US Territory?
4 hari lalu

US President Donald Trump was reportedly "joking" when he said he would declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory.
Trump to Declare Strait of Hormuz US Territory 'Soon'
4 hari lalu

Donald Trump said the Strait of Hormuz would become part of the US after Iran is defeated and told Americans to expect rising gas prices.
Fact Check: Is Video of Iranian Nuclear Missiles Real?
5 hari lalu

Tempo's Fact Check team investigated viral videos claiming to show Iranian nuclear missiles transported by trucks.
















































