Israeli Military Admits Mistakenly Attacking Gaza Hospital, Killing Journalists and Civilians

5 days ago 12

August 26, 2025 | 12:41 pm

Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza, Palestine. Shutterstock

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) admitted on Monday evening, August 25, 2025, to mistakenly attacking Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza. The two Israeli air strikes resulted in the deaths of at least 20 people, including 5 prominent journalists from Reuters and other media outlets.

According to The Jerusalem Post, the Israeli military acknowledged that the attack on the hospital had been approved based on intelligence of a Hamas target. However, the IDF stated they are investigating the attack, calling the significant casualties a crucial mistake. The IDF claimed it did not intend to harm journalists or innocent civilians.

Previously, IDF sources had insisted the Israeli Air Force was not responsible for the attacks, instead blaming the IDF Southern Command, led by Major General Yaniv Asur.

High-ranking officials must generally approve attacks on hospitals. Since Asur took over command of IDF operations in Gaza in March, sources within the Israeli Air Force have criticized him for being less meticulous in avoiding civilian casualties than his predecessor, Major General Yaron Finkleman.

An investigation by +972 Magazine, Local Call, and The Guardian last week revealed that data from Israel's internal intelligence database shows at least 83% of Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks in Gaza were civilians.

This figure contradicts public statements from the army and Israeli government officials who have consistently claimed a civilian-to-militant casualty ratio of 1:1 or 2:1. The confidential data support several studies indicating that Israeli bombings in Gaza have resulted in a rare rate of civilian casualties for modern warfare.

The Israeli military confirmed the existence of this database, which is managed by the Military Intelligence Directorate ("Aman"). One intelligence source familiar with the database said, "There's nowhere else to check it," highlighting it as the military's only official count of militant casualties.

Journalists Killed in the Attack

Cameraman Hussam al-Masri, one of the journalists killed in the attack, was a contractor for Reuters. Photographer Hatem Khaled, also a contractor for Reuters, was injured.

Gaza officials identified four other journalists as Mariam Abu Dagga, a freelancer for AP and various media since the beginning of the conflict; Mohammed Salama, who works for Al Jazeera based in Qatar; and Moaz Abu Taha, who works for NBC.

Medical sources also confirmed to Anadolu that the fifth slain journalist was Ahmed Abu Aziz, a freelance reporter for Quds Network, who died from severe injuries sustained in the Israeli attack. A rescue worker was also among those killed, according to health officials.

Nasser Hospital Director Atef al-Hout told Al-Arabiya television that the hospital was operating at full capacity, treating over 1,000 patients when the attack occurred. He also reported that over 50 people were injured.

The Nasser Hospital had been threatened with bombing before. After the Israeli military invasion of Khan Younis last year, medical teams evacuated at least 300 bodies from mass graves found inside the hospital.

Following intensive humanitarian efforts to rehabilitate it, the hospital resumed operations and began treating the wounded. However, the hospital has repeatedly come under attack by the Israeli military.

Editor's Choice: Global Condemnation Following Death of 5 Journalists in Israeli Attack

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News



Global Condemnation Following Death of 5 Journalists in Israeli Attack

4 jam lalu

Global Condemnation Following Death of 5 Journalists in Israeli Attack

The international community has condemned Israel's attack on Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza, which resulted in the deaths of 5 journalists and 15 Palestinian civilians


Nadeen Ayoub Becomes First Palestinian Woman to Compete in Miss Universe 2025

5 jam lalu

Nadeen Ayoub Becomes First Palestinian Woman to Compete in Miss Universe 2025

Nadeen Ayoub, crowned Miss Universe Palestine, made history by becoming the first Palestinian woman to compete in Miss Universe 2025.


PFI Condemns Police Violence Against Antara Photojournalist During Mass Protest at DPR Building

5 jam lalu

PFI Condemns Police Violence Against Antara Photojournalist During Mass Protest at DPR Building

A journalist from Antara was subjected to violence by the police while covering the protest at the House of Representatives (DPR) building yesterday.


Antara Journalist Beaten by Police at DPR Demonstration

14 jam lalu

Antara Journalist Beaten by Police at DPR Demonstration

A journalist from the National News Agency Antara, Bayu Pratama, was hit by police while covering the demonstration at the DPR building.


Israeli Airstrike on Gaza Hospital Kills 19, Including 4 Journalists

17 jam lalu

Israeli Airstrike on Gaza Hospital Kills 19, Including 4 Journalists

The Gaza Media Office stated that at least 244 journalists and media workers have been killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza since October 2023.


AJI, Press Legal Aid Demand Probe Into Police Assault on Journalists at August 25 Protest

18 jam lalu

AJI, Press Legal Aid Demand Probe Into Police Assault on Journalists at August 25 Protest

Antara news agency photojournalist Bayu Pratama was assaulted by police during a demonstration on 25 August 2025 in front of the DPR/MPR building.


Students at University of Indonesia Protest Pro-Zionist Scholar's Visit

19 jam lalu

Students at University of Indonesia Protest Pro-Zionist Scholar's Visit

The protesters will also demand that the University of Indonesia show a genuine commitment to Palestine through tangible actions.


UNICEF: Famine in Gaza Caused by Israeli Blockade, Not Food Shortage

20 jam lalu

UNICEF: Famine in Gaza Caused by Israeli Blockade, Not Food Shortage

UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell emphasized that the famine crisis in Gaza. could have been prevented


Israeli Military Chief Urges Netanyahu to Approve Gaza Prisoner Exchange

20 jam lalu

Israeli Military Chief Urges Netanyahu to Approve Gaza Prisoner Exchange

The Israeli army chief urges Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to accept the current prisoner swap proposal in Gaza.


Here Is Emine Erdogan's Letter Asking Melania Trump to Help Gaza's Children

20 jam lalu

Here Is Emine Erdogan's Letter Asking Melania Trump to Help Gaza's Children

Emine Erdogan writes a letter to Melania Trump, asking her to pay attention to the suffering of children in Gaza, similar to her letter to Putin about the children in Ukraine.


Read Entire Article
Parenting |