August 8, 2025 | 07:38 pm

The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump has doubled the reward for the arrest of Venezuela’s President Nicolás Maduro to US$50 million or over Rp813 billion. The Trump administration has accused Maduro of being one of the world’s largest drug dealers and of collaborating with cartels to flood the U.S. with cocaine laced with fentanyl.
"Under President Trump’s leadership, Maduro will not escape justice and he will be held accountable for his despicable crimes," said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi in a video announcing the reward on Thursday, as reported by Arab News.
Bondi claimed the Justice Department had seized more than US$700 million in assets related to Maduro, including two private jets, and stated that 7 million tons of confiscated cocaine had been traced directly to the leftist leader.
Maduro’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Maduro was indicted in federal court in Manhattan in 2020 during Trump’s first presidency, along with some of his close allies, on federal charges of drug terrorism and conspiracy to import cocaine.
At that time, the U.S. offered a US$15 million reward for his capture. The amount was later increased by the Biden administration to US$25 million, the same amount offered for the capture of Osama bin Laden after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Despite the hefty reward, Maduro remains firm in his position, opposing the U.S., the European Union, and several Latin American governments that condemned his 2024 re-election as fraudulent and recognized his opponent as the legitimate president of Venezuela.
Last month, the Trump administration reached a deal to free 10 American citizens imprisoned in Caracas in exchange for Venezuela repatriating a number of migrants deported by the U.S. to El Salvador under Trump's tough immigration policy.
Shortly after, the White House reversed its policy and allowed U.S. oil producer Chevron to resume drilling in Venezuela, a move that had been previously blocked by U.S. sanctions.
Venezuelan Foreign Minister Yvan Gil released a statement, as reported by ABC News, calling the reward "pathetic" and accusing Bondi of orchestrating a "crude political propaganda operation."
"We’re not surprised, coming from whom it comes from. The same one who promised a nonexistent ‘secret list’ of Epstein and who wallows in scandals for political favors," said Gil.
This refers to the backlash faced by Bondi after the US Department of Justice announced last month that the long-rumored "client list" of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein did not exist. "Her show is a joke, a desperate distraction from her own misery," Gil added.
Editor’s Choice: Trump Orders New Census to Exclude Undocumented Immigrants
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Trump Orders New Census to Exclude Undocumented Immigrants
3 jam lalu

The last census, conducted during Trump's first term, recorded the U.S. population at 331 million, a 7% increase from a decade earlier.
Trump's Truth Social Launches AI-Powered Browser Using Perplexity Technology
3 jam lalu

Truth Social, Donald Trump's social media platform, utilizes the Perplexity Sonar API to source verified and up-to-date information from the web.
Former Superman Actor Pledges to Join ICE as Trump's Deportation Scheme Puts Lives at Risk
3 jam lalu

Dean Cain, an actor known for portraying Superman on a television show, is set to join the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Cambodia Nominates U.S. President Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
5 jam lalu

Cambodia has officially nominated President of the United States Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Trump Announces Reciprocal Tariffs, Warns Billions of Dollars at Risk
22 jam lalu

President Donald Trump announced on Thursday, August 7, 2025, that reciprocal tariffs on more than 90 countries had taken effect.
Kremlin Announces Upcoming Meeting Between Putin and Trump
1 hari lalu

This will be the first face-to-face discussion between Trump and Putin during their second term in office.
Brazil Files Formal Complaint with WTO Against US Tariffs
1 hari lalu

The Brazilian government has officially requested consultation with the WTO on Wednesday regarding the import tariffs imposed by the United States on its products.
Indonesia Hit by Trump's 19% Tariff as of August 7, Minister Says Talks Still Ongoing
1 hari lalu

The Minister of Trade stated that Indonesia is still in the process of negotiating for the US to lower tariffs and exempt import duties on a number of commodities.
Trump Slaps 25% Tariff on Indian Imports for Buying Russian Oil, Total Now 50%
1 hari lalu

Trump signs an order adding a 25% tariff on Indian imports, citing India's continued purchase of Russian oil as part of a response to the Ukraine war.
US Visa Applicants Required to Deposit Up to $15,000; African Nations First to Be Affected
1 hari lalu

The administration of Donald Trump has implemented a new policy for U.S. visa applicants.