TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Aceh Governor Muzakir Manaf has declared a state of emergency due to floods and landslides in several regions of Aceh Province over the past week. The decision to declare a state of emergency was made after the Aceh Provincial Government held a limited meeting on flood disaster alert at the Aceh Regional Representatives Council office in Banda Aceh, on Thursday, November 27, 2025.
Governor Muzakir Manaf has declared a state of emergency due to hydro-meteorological disasters through the Governor of Aceh's Decree Number 100.3.3/1416/2025, which declares a state of emergency in Aceh for 2025. The state of emergency is declared for 14 days, effective from November 28 to December 11, 2025.
"On this Thursday, November 27, 2025, I, the Governor of Aceh, have declared the Governor of Aceh's Decision on the declaration of a state of emergency due to hydro-meteorological disasters in Aceh for 2025," said Muzakir Manaf, quoted from his official statement on Friday, November 28, 2025.
The Aceh Disaster Management Agency (BPBA) has stated that it has received letters from regents and mayors regarding the declaration of a state of emergency due to hydro-meteorological disasters for 14 regencies and cities. The declaration of a state of emergency aims to accelerate the response to flood and landslide disasters in Aceh.
The Acting Head of the Aceh Disaster Management Agency (BPBA), Fadmi Ridwan, stated that each regional head issued a declaration of the state of emergency based on the current conditions.
"From the letters we received, there are 14 Regencies/Cities that have declared a state of emergency due to hydro-meteorological disasters, namely Pidie, Lhokseumawe, Aceh Tamiang, Subulussalam, Aceh Besar, Aceh Jaya, Aceh Singkil, Aceh Selatan, Gayo Lues, Aceh Barat, Aceh Tenggara, Aceh Tengah, Aceh Utara, and Aceh Barat Daya," said Fadmi Ridwan.
Meanwhile, of the 14 Regencies/Cities under a state of emergency, 4 Regencies/Cities have sent letters stating they are unable to handle the emergency. The four regencies/cities include Aceh Barat, Aceh Selatan, Aceh Singkil, and Lhokseumawe City.
"For these 4 regencies, they have expressed their inability to handle the emergency disaster," said Fadmi. "Considering the enormous impact that has arisen, which has led to the limited availability of logistics, equipment, resources, and budget in the area."
President Prabowo Subianto cannot yet confirm the designation of a natural disaster in Sumatra as a national emergency. He stated that they are still monitoring the situation in the affected areas. "Yes, we are continuously monitoring. We are sending aid continuously. Later, we will evaluate the conditions," said Prabowo at the Bank Indonesia building, Jakarta, on Friday, November 28, 2025.
The Head of State emphasized that the government will continue to send assistance to communities affected by natural disasters. The Head of the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), Lieutenant General TNI Suharyanto, previously explained why the government has not designated the floods and landslides in Sumatra Island as a national disaster.
According to Suharyanto, the disasters that struck Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra still fall under the category of provincial-level regional disasters. The catastrophes in these three regions appeared alarming when the information spread on social media. However, he claimed that the current situation has improved. "The national disaster status that has been designated by Indonesia is Covid-19 and the 2004 Aceh Tsunami," said Suharyanto in a press conference broadcast on the official BNPB YouTube channel on Friday, November 28, 2025.
Suharyanto mentioned that several disasters, including the Palu Earthquake, the West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) Earthquake, and the Cianjur Earthquake, were not designated as national disasters. He explained that various considerations are involved in declaring a national disaster, one of which is the scale of casualties. Meanwhile, he stated that the current disaster situation in Sumatra has not reached the threshold for designation as a national disaster.
Nevertheless, Suharyanto acknowledged that the information circulating on social media has created a sense of crisis and tension. He stated that the sense of tension arose when incidents of isolated residents and disrupted communication networks were reported. "Indeed, yesterday it seemed tense because it was widely circulated on social media," said Suharyanto.
Hendrik Yaputra and Ervana Trikarinaputri contributed to this article
Editor's Choice: BNPB Clarifies Why Sumatra Floods, Landslides Not Declared National Disaster
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


















































