August 18, 2026 | 08:26 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Iran insists it will not reopen the Strait of Hormuz until the United States fulfills its commitments under the memorandum of understanding signed by both parties.
In a speech at a parliamentary session, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said that Iran would use both diplomatic and military means to make the U.S. understand the consequences of its actions, according to the Iranian news agency IRNA.
"Let me be clear: until the U.S. fulfills its commitments under the memorandum of understanding — including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen assets, lifting oil sanctions, ending threats and military operations on all fronts, and implementing the other conditions it committed to under the memorandum — the Strait will not reopen," said Ghalibaf, as quoted by ANTARA.
The head of Iran's negotiating team in the talks with the U.S. added that Iran is pursuing the power of logic and the logic of power through both diplomatic and military coordination.
The period established in the MoU—including the lifting of the U.S. blockade and the ceasefire—has helped Iran boost its economic resilience and rebuild its defense capabilities.
"The Islamic Republic of Iran is prepared, in proportion to the enemy’s actions and aggression, to inflict an even heavier defeat on it," asserted Ghalibaf.
Iran and the U.S. signed a MoU last June, mediated by Pakistan and Qatar, to end hostilities and open 60 days for negotiations toward a final agreement.
However, further talks stalled amidst a dispute over the implementation of the MoU and arrangements for shipping through the Strait of Hormuz—a vital route for global oil and gas exports.
Read: Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Strait of Hormuz Talks With Iran
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Iran Dismisses Trump's Claim of Backchannel Talks
5 jam lalu

Iran claimed there's no diplomatic talks with the US due to Washington's "breach of promises."
Qatar Denies Holding Iran's Missing Fighter Pilots
1 hari lalu

Qatar on Saturday denied that it was detaining Iranian pilots who went missing early in the US-Israeli war with Iran after their aircraft were downed.
Lebanon Says 11 Killed in Israeli Airstrikes
2 hari lalu

Lebanon's prime minister denounced the attacks on villages in southern Lebanon for targeting civilians in their homes.
Was Trump Joking About Declaring Hormuz US Territory?
3 hari lalu

US President Donald Trump was reportedly "joking" when he said he would declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory.
Trump to Declare Strait of Hormuz US Territory 'Soon'
3 hari lalu

Donald Trump said the Strait of Hormuz would become part of the US after Iran is defeated and told Americans to expect rising gas prices.
Fact Check: Is Video of Iranian Nuclear Missiles Real?
4 hari lalu

Tempo's Fact Check team investigated viral videos claiming to show Iranian nuclear missiles transported by trucks.
US and Iran Agree to 60-Day Ceasefire Extension
6 hari lalu

The US and Iran agree to extend their ceasefire for 60 days as the current truce is set to expire on August 17.
Iran Prepares Bill to Bar 'Enemy' Ships from Entering Gulf
6 hari lalu

Iran's parliament is preparing a bill to bar military and commercial vessels from "hostile" nations from entering the Gulf without Tehran's approval.
Trump Secretly Switched Planes in Turkiye Amid Reported Iran Threat
7 hari lalu

US President Donald Trump secretly transferred to a military jet in Trkiye last month amid an alleged Iranian assassination threat, reports said.
Middle East: Iran Wants US Concessions Before Opening Hormuz
8 hari lalu

Iran's Foreign Ministry reiterated that the US must meet Tehran's demands before the Strait of Hormuz is reopened.


















































