TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Indonesia's southernmost province is grappling with the aftermath of a 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck August 15, just a couple days before the country celebrated its 81st Independence Day.
Words of condolences and offers to provide assistance have trickled in from the international community—including Iran, the EU, China, the US, and more—as death toll stood at at least 68 people and more than 200 injured.
What to Know About the Earthquake
Citing Antara, as many as 7,968 homes and 744 public facilities and infrastructures have been damaged following the earthquake that centered in Mbay, Nagekeo Regency.
Authorities have declared a 14-day state of emergency since Sunday.
The Saturday morning quake struck at a depth of 10 kilometers, sparking panic as tsunami warnings were issued following the main tremors.
Since then, over 1,600 aftershocks were recorded by the country's Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG), but only 59 were felt by residents.
What Did World Leaders Say About the Indonesian Earthquake?
Several world leaders have extended their words of bereavement over the earthquake in NTT, with some stating their countries stand ready to provide aid if requested. Here are some of them:
China
In a statement on Monday, Chinese President Xi Jinping extended "deep condolences over those who lost their lives and sincere sympathies to the bereaved families and the injured."
China also "stands ready to provide support and aid in light of Indonesia's needs," according to Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian.
Iran
In a message to Prabowo on Sunday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian conveyed his sympathy to those affected by the disaster. He also expressed Iran's readiness to provide "any relief and medical assistance" to the quake-hit regions.
Singapore
Singaporean Prime Minister Lawrence Wong extended his condolences to those affected by the tragedy, stating that he has written to Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto about it.
“Our thoughts are with the people of Indonesia during this difficult time, and with the authorities and emergency personnel working tirelessly on relief and recovery efforts," he said in a statement shared on his Facebook on Sunday.
Canada
Canada's Foreign Minister Anita Anand expressed her condolences over the "devastating earthquake" in Flores, according to a statement shared of Facebook by the country's global affairs department.
"We remain in close contact, and Canada stands ready to provide assistance should it be required," the statement read. "We stand with the people of Indonesia during this difficult time."
European Union
The European Union offered to deploy Copernicus, the earth observation system as part of the EU's space program, to support search and rescue efforts following the deadly earthquake in NTT.
"From solidarity to action, Europe stands ready to deploy Copernicus, our eyes in the sky, to support search and rescue efforts," said the president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, in a statement shared on X.
"My thoughts are with the families who have lost loved ones in this devastating earthquake," the statement read.
The EU previously activated the Copernicus satellite mapping service during the aftermath of Colombia's 7.4 magnitude quake, which killed at least 289 people.
"To support rescue operations and provide initial damage assessments," the European Commission wrote in a release quoted on Tuesday.
South Korea
Citing The Korea Times, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung on Monday extended his "deepest condolences" to the victims and the bereaved families in NTT.
Lee expressed hope that recovery efforts will proceed swiftly and that "as many as possible" could return safely to their families.
Uni Arab Emirates
In a statement, the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed "solidarity" and "sincere condolences and sympathy" to the people of Indonesia.
The country also wishes for "speedy recovery" for those injured in the earthquake.
United States
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Monday "extend deepest condolences" for "the devastating earthquake and its aftermath" in NTT.
The statement came as the US congratulated Indonesia on its 81st anniversary of Independence Day, hailing both countries' "enduring partnership rooted in dedication to democratic governance and a shared vision for a free and open Indo-Pacific."
Read: Indonesia: Thousands Await Aid After Earthquake Kills 68
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


















































