
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Member of the Hajj Supervisory Team at the House of Representatives (DPR), Muhammad Husni, questioned the high number of Indonesian hajj pilgrims who passed their health screening despite suffering from dementia. He brought this up after an elderly Indonesian pilgrim was found dead after being declared missing for a week in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
While it is fortunate that the missing pilgrim was found, Husni said this situation sparked concern for the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah. "We find there are quite a few pilgrims with dementia who were green-lighted," he said in a video statement on Sunday, May 24, 2026.
The Gerindra Party politician shared hopes for the Indonesian government to tighten its screening for eligible hajj pilgrims going forward. Those seeking to depart for the Muslim pilgrimage must meet the fitness requirements before traveling to Saudi Arabia. "This is our problem, those departing for hajj must be those who are truly capable, not only financially but also in terms of health," he said.
The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah previously confirmed that Muhammad Firdaus, a 72-year-old Indonesian hajj pilgrim, who was reported missing and later found dead, will be buried in Saudi Arabia.
Firdaus, a member of cluster JKG 27, has been reported missing since May 15, from the hotel where he was staying in Mecca. Saudi authorities found him deceased on May 22, local time.
The Head of the Pilgrim Protection Unit of the 2026 Indonesian Hajj Organizing Commitee in Saudi Arabia, Colonel (Ret.) Muftiono, said that Firdaus was found in the Jabal Kuday area on Friday, around 02:00 a.m. local time. "The deceased was found in Jabal Kuday, about 1.5 to 2 kilometers from the dormitory. He was found by Saudi soldiers who were on patrol," Muftiono said in a video statement on May 23.
Firdaus was reported missing earlier after failing to return to his accommodation since Friday. The spokesperson for the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, Ichsan Marsha, said the missing report was received through the Hajj Watch Channel on May 16.
Based on the information, Firdaus left the hotel without his identification, only wearing a white T-shirt and sarong. CCTV footage showed him leaving alone at 09:04 a.m. local time, wearing only a hajj bracelet.
Ichsan said that the hotel lobby was relatively empty at that time because most pilgrims had prepared for Friday prayer.
Since receiving the report, the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has formed several search teams, combing various locations, from hotels and the Masjidil Haram area to the surrounding streets. A pilgrim protection team from Medina was also deployed to expand the search.
"Searches were also conducted at hospitals in Mecca and the surrounding areas," Ichsan said.
Read: Saudi Arabia Tightens Mecca Traffic Ahead of Hajj Season
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Indonesia's Hajj Sacrificial Meat Will Be Distributed to Palestinians
7 jam lalu

In addition to Palestine, some of Indonesia's Hajj sacrificial meat will also be distributed to other communities in the Middle East.
Saudi Arabia Tightens Mecca Traffic Ahead of Hajj Season
1 hari lalu

The Directorate General of Passports of Saudi Arabia noted that a total of 1,518,153 international pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia: 1.5 Million Join Hajj Pilgrimage Despite War
1 hari lalu

Saudi Arabia has been directly hit by missiles and drones during the Iran war, but the country is hosting the all-important Muslim pilgrimage anyway.
Indonesia Strengthens Services in Mecca in Anticipation of Hajj Peak
7 hari lalu

Indonesian regular hajj pilgrims are now in Mecca to prepare for the peak of the hajj rites, and the government is concentrating its efforts to strengthen services in Mecca to support their readiness for the core phase of the pilgrimage.
Hajj Update: First Wave of Indonesian Pilgrims Leave Medina for Mecca
8 hari lalu

The departure process of the hajj pilgrims went smoothly.
Indonesian House to Monitor Hotels, Catering for Hajj Pilgrims
13 hari lalu

The Indonesian House of Representatives (DPR) monitoring team will ensure that all agreements on hajj services are implemented.
Indonesia Reports 20 Hajj Pilgrim Deaths in Saudi Arabia
14 hari lalu

Ichsan stated that the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah continues to remind pilgrims to discipline themselves in maintaining their health amidst the hot weather conditions in Saudi Arabia.
Minister Airlangga: Rupiah Decline Common in Hajj Season
18 hari lalu

Airlangga said currency depreciation is not unique to rupiah and is common across countries, particularly during the annual Hajj season.
Illegal Hajj Risks: Saudi Arabia Issues 10-Year Entry Ban
21 hari lalu

Risks of legal consequences for performing hajj without a hajj visa. What are they?
Hajj 2026: Seven Indonesians Pass Away in Medina
21 hari lalu

By the 12th day of hajj operations, the Ministry has recorded 175 groups, totaling 68,082 pilgrims and 697 officials, departing for Medina.















































