Trump Calls San Diego Mosque Shooting a 'Terrible Situation'

3 hours ago 6

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - President of the United States Donald Trump described the shooting at the San Diego Islamic Center in California as a “terrible situation” on Monday night.

"I’ve been given some early updates, but we’re going to be going back and looking at it very strongly," Trump said when he was asked about the situation, according to NBC.

Meanwhile, California Governor Gavin Newsom said he and his wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, were “horrified” by the attack and expressed support for the Muslim community in San Diego.

Jennifer and I are horrified by today’s violent attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego, where families and children gather, and neighbors worship in peace and fellowship,” Newsom said in a statement.

He also offered condolences to the victims and said personnel from the California Highway Patrol and the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services had been deployed to coordinate with local authorities and provide state assistance.

“California sends our deepest condolences to the families and communities impacted by today’s shooting.“

Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives,” Newsom added. “Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith.”

Separately, San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria condemned hate-driven violence and vowed that those responsible would face the “full force” of law enforcement.

"No one in our city should live in fear because of their identity, their faith or their place of learning,” Gloria said during a press conference.

The mayor also lamented that the attack occurred during a significant period in the Islamic calendar, ahead of Eid al-Adha — also known as the Feast of Sacrifice — and the annual Muslim pilgrimage, or Hajj, to the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

Hate has no home in San Diego. Islamophobia has no home in San Diego. An attack on any San Diegan is an attack on all San Diegans, and we will not stand for it,” Gloria said.

Suspects Identified

Authorities said the suspected shooters were later found dead inside a vehicle that had stopped in the middle of a nearby road.

Two senior law enforcement officials involved in the investigation, along with a federal law enforcement official, identified the suspects as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18.

According to San Diego police, officers first received a call at around 9:42 a.m. from the mother of one of the suspects, who reported that her son was missing along with a firearm and his vehicle, police official Wahl told reporters.

She also warned authorities that her son appeared suicidal and was likely accompanied by a friend. Both teenagers were reportedly wearing military-style clothing.

Investigators later linked one of the suspects to Madison High School, located about a mile from the San Diego Islamic Center, Wahl said.

At 11:43 AM, police received reports of an active shooter at the mosque.

Officers were in the area still talking with Mom, trying to piece together where they might be, the locations that she felt that they would be at, and that was just a few blocks away,” Wahl said.

Those officers, once they heard what was happening at the Islamic Center, immediately dispatched themselves to the mosque.”

When officers arrived at the scene, they found three victims dead. While police searched the Islamic center for the suspects, dispatchers also received reports that a gardener had possibly been shot a few blocks away, Wahl said.

Authorities later received another report that the two suspects had been found dead inside their vehicle from gunshot wounds.

Investigators are continuing to execute search warrants and pursue additional leads.

We’re going to continue following any leads and any information that comes forward as we’re all focused on figuring out how this happened and what could we have done to prevent it,” Wahl said.

Read: Two Teens Identified in Deadly San Diego Mosque Shooting

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


Mayor Says 'Islamophobia Has No Home in San Diego' After Mosque Attack

28 menit lalu

Mayor Says 'Islamophobia Has No Home in San Diego' After Mosque Attack

The mayor of the US city of San Diego on Monday strongly condemned Islamophobia after two teenage gunmen opened fire at a local mosquee.


Two Teens Identified in Deadly San Diego Mosque Shooting

3 jam lalu

Two Teens Identified in Deadly San Diego Mosque Shooting

Two teenagers opened fire at a San Diego mosque on Monday afternoon, killing three men in the shooting incident.


Three Killed in Shooting at San Diego Mosque, Police Probe Hate Crime

4 jam lalu

Three Killed in Shooting at San Diego Mosque, Police Probe Hate Crime

Three people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday.


Cambridge Shooting: Gunman Opens Fire on Vehicles, Two Critical

7 hari lalu

Cambridge Shooting: Gunman Opens Fire on Vehicles, Two Critical

Gunman who opened fire along Memorial Drive in Cambridge on Monday afternoon has been identified as 46-year-old Boston resident Tyler Brown.


White House Press Dinner Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

7 hari lalu

White House Press Dinner Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

A California man has been charged with attempting to assassinate Trump at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner.


US Gala Shooting Suspect Charged in Trump Assassination Attempt

21 hari lalu

US Gala Shooting Suspect Charged in Trump Assassination Attempt

If convicted, the attempted assassination charge carries a potential life sentence.


FBI Reviews Security Protocols for White House Press Conferences

21 hari lalu

FBI Reviews Security Protocols for White House Press Conferences

FBI Director Kash Patel will overhaul security for Donald Trump's next White House press conference.


Who Is Cole Allen, the White House Dinner Breach Suspect?

21 hari lalu

Who Is Cole Allen, the White House Dinner Breach Suspect?

New details emerge about Cole Allen, the 31-year-old teacher identified as the suspect in the White House Correspondents' Association dinner shooting.


Gunman in Trump Dinner Shooting Leaves Manifesto Targeting Officials

22 hari lalu

Gunman in Trump Dinner Shooting Leaves Manifesto Targeting Officials

Cole Tomas Allen, 31, suspect of Trump shooting, left behind a written manifesto outlining his intention to target members of the Trump administration


Trump Shooting Occurs at Site of Ronald Reagan Assassination Attempt

22 hari lalu

Trump Shooting Occurs at Site of Ronald Reagan Assassination Attempt

The shooting that occurred to Trump at Washington Hilton Hotel was the same location as the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan 45 years ago.


Read Entire Article
Parenting |